A haven for the vintage music lover

Kingston record collector and Zap Records store owner hosts vinyl record show and sale

Record collectors and music lovers sift through the large collection in Mac-Brown Hall at the Kingston Record Show on Sunday.
Image by: Alex Pickering

With vinyl dealers from around Ontario filling the space with boxes upon boxes of records covering every genre imaginable, Mac-Brown Hall became home to the Kingston Record Show on Sunday.

Local business owner Gary LaVallee has been doing the show off and on for 20 years. LaVallee, who runs Zap Records on Princess St., has held it at five different venues over the past couple of decades, but has only been able to utilize Mac-Brown for the last two years thanks to his partnership with CFRC 101.9 FM.

“We’re happy to be here,” LaVallee said. “CFRC has been a great partner and I’m really grateful for them.”

LaVallee likes using Mac-Brown as a venue because it has enabled him to cater more to students.

“I’ve had my eye on this particular building for years,” he said. “It’s a good spot for the show.”

CFRC was set up in one corner of the hall with a record player and some promotional material. As well as running advertising for the show, CFRC was responsible for booking the space.

“It’s the kind of community event that we’re really proud of,” Cameron Willis said. Willis is on staff at CFRC as the music resources manager. “It’s part of our mandate to bring together students and the community of Kingston,” he said.

Despite Sunday’s rain, the Kingston Record Show drew a steady crowd of about 200 people, according to LaVallee.

The show always attracts its regulars, but this year, some musicians showed up that were in town for the QPOP festival, which also occurred over the weekend.

“Both members of PS I Love You were here,” Willis said. The band performed at Clark Hall on Saturday night.

Vinyl enthusiast Ryan Parsons appreciated the diverse array of music available.

“There was something to suit any taste,” Parsons, ArtSci ’16, said.

“Like any time you go vinyl shopping, you definitely had to sift for gold.” Parsons commended the vendors for being generally amiable. He also appreciated the opportunity to haggle.

For CFRC and LaVallee, making connections with vinyl listeners like Parsons is what it’s all about. If a successful show is one that fosters a sense of shared community between Kingstonians and Queen’s students, then Sunday’s event hit the mark.

vinyl