Women draw with Ravens

Laurentian, Nipissing up next for Gaels squad

Women’s soccer only managed a single point on the road against the team they’re battling for third place in the OUA East.

The Gaels (5-2-3) played to a 1-1 draw Wednesday evening against the Carleton Ravens (5-2-3) to remain in a tie for third in the division.

Both teams struggled to register shots on net. Queen’s keeper Madison Tyrell stopped four of five shots while the offence tallied four shots, including a goal from midfielder Jessie de Boer.

The Gaels had several strong chances inside Carleton’s box during the first half, but couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities. The team twice failed to record a shot from in tight.

Queen’s had to storm back from an early second half deficit, when the Ravens’ Vanessa Germano gave Carleton the lead. The goal happened after Tyrell slid to strip the ball from an attacker, but couldn’t get back into position to make the save on Germano’s shott.

de Boer evened up the score after a give-and-go with striker Tara Bartram. de Boer slipped behind her defender and chipped the ball up and over the Ravens’ goalie for the marker.

The tally gave de Boer goals in each of the Gaels’ last three contests.

Neither team was able to muster another offensive opportunity as the match ended 1-1. With the draw, both the Gaels and Ravens stayed even in the OUA East standings, nine points back of the first-place Ottawa Gee-Gees (9-1-0).

After kicking off the year with three consecutive victories, Queen’s has captured only two wins in their last seven games.

This weekend, the women travel north to face the Laurentian Lady Vees (3-5-2) on Saturday and the Nipissing Lakers (2-7-1) on Sunday.

Carleton, Gaels, Women's soccer