Queen’s ranked 277th internationally

The 2014 rankings established by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) has placed Queen’s University 277th out of the top 1,000 world university institutions.

The CWUR began producing rankings in 2012. The Centre bases its rankings off of a number of factors: quality of education, alumni employment, quality of faculty, publications, influence, citations, broad impact and patents.

Quality of education is measured by the number of alumni who have won major international awards, relative to the university’s size. Alumni employment is measured by the number of alumni who hold CEO positions at the world’s top 2000 companies. Publications are the number of research papers that appear in reputable journals. Quality of faculty is measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards.

Quality of education, alumni employment and quality of faculty are most heavily counted, each making up 25 per cent of the total score. Publications, influence, citations, broad impact and patents are all weighted at five per cent.

Queen’s received a rank of 301 in quality of education, 172 in alumni employment, 210+ in quality of faculty, 253 in publications, 273 in influence, 220 in citations, 281 in broad impact and 204 in patents. The University’s overall score was 46.59.

Previous reports issued in 2013 and 2012 measured the top 100 institutions, and Queen’s didn’t rank.

The ranking puts the University in the top 1.3 per cent of the world’s 22,000 degree-granting institutions.

Other Canadian universities included University of Toronto ranked 31st on the overall list, McGill University at 42nd, University of British Columbia at 61st, McMaster University at 141st and University of Western Ontario at 152nd.

Queen’s ranked 12th nationally.

The top 10 universities were Harvard University; Stanford University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology; University of Cambridge; University of Oxford; Columbia University; University of California, Berkeley; University of Chicago; Princeton University and Yale University.

The University was unable to comment by deadline.

rankings