Take it slow

Brendan Canning, former member of Broken Social Scene, records an ode to relaxation

Brendan Canning says he doesn’t receive the same “creature comforts” as he did with Broken Social Scene on his solo endeavours.
Image by: Supplied

Brendan Canning wants us to relax.

At least that’s the message of his new solo album You Gots 2 Chill, a 14-track ode to taking it slow.

Canning, one of the founding members of Broken Social Scene (BSS), released the album under his own label, Draper St. Records.

This new direction simply made sense to Canning.

“BSS had come to the end of its touring cycle for Forgiveness Rock Record and there was nothing on the books,” he said. “We all knew it was the official hiatus.” His solo endeavour happened naturally.

“I had already started chipping away at what would become You Gots 2 Chill so there was no real, ‘I’m going solo guys,’” Canning said. “It was more like, ‘let’s take this break from BSS and remain sane individuals and put our friendships first.’”

You Gots 2 Chill is Canning’s second solo album, following Something For All of Us in 2008 as part of the Broken Social Scene Presents series.

Canning’s go-with-the-flow approach to making music also extends to recording, where Canning said a lot can depend on “the person pushing record.” He and his friend Steve Singh recorded the tracks on You Gots 2 Chill. Even a solo album, Canning said, requires input from friends.

“Whoever I’m recording with, there always has to be that level of trust,” he said.

Canning said there were many comforts being a part of BSS. He’s looking forward to returning to Kingston solo, but doesn’t expect the same.

“You know, you get to a certain level with a band and you come to expect certain creature comforts that I got when I was on tour with BSS,” Canning said.

During his show Saturday night at the Grad Club, Canning quipped that he and his backup band were travelling in an expensive-to-rent Chevy truck.

Saturday was his first return to Kingston in almost a decade.

Despite a late start to the set, the crowd was on their feet and dancing along. Canning played songs off You Gots 2 Chill. He also played some brand new pieces, including “Vibration Wall”, an upbeat tune that got the tired crowd stomping along.

Canning is rarely far from Kingston. He lives in Toronto because he can’t imagine living anywhere else.

“There’s always lots of action. It’s nice to know that there’s always something going on,” he said. “That there’s a cool party happening even if you don’t feel like attending.”

Album, Brendan Canning, Interview, Music, Show, You Gots 2 Chill