Women’s rugby wins OUA championship

Historic win over Guelph gives Gaels first-ever league crown

Women’s rugby claimed their first-ever OUA championship today, ending the Guelph Gryphons’ five-year reign atop the OUA.

Queen’s triumphed over Guelph 19-15 on the road this afternoon, avenging a heart-wrenching 10-6 defeat in last year’s championship game. With the victory, the Gaels not only won the title, but also handed the Gryphons their first defeat in league play since 2007.

Guelph opened the scoring in today’s game, with Lindsay Yuen tallying a first-half try. Queen’s rallied back with Kayla Roote’s first try of the game. After Lauren McEwen’s successful conversion, the Gaels took a 7-5 lead.

A Bronwyn Corrigan try gave the Gaels a seven-point advantage heading into halftime.

In the second half, Guelph once again opened the scoring, with a Devon Keys try. Roote’s second try of the match and another McEwen conversion put the Gaels up by nine.

The Gryphons pressed late and were able to bring the score within four, but in the end Queen’s held them off to claim the title.

The Gaels now head to the CIS championships next weekend in Quebec City. At last year’s championships, the Gaels finished fifth.

#QWR celebrate their OUA championship win http://t.co/PZXwryT47z

— Queen’s Gaels (@queensgaels) October 26, 2013

Gaels, Guelph, McEwen, OUA, Roote, Women's rugby