Potato hurler injures students

Spud-throwing incidents believed to be related, police say

Kingston Police have received several reports of people being hit with both potatoes and oranges around Earl and Division Streets.
Image by: Alex Choi

Several students on campus are nursing bruises after being pelted by fruits and vegetables near campus.

On Nov. 24 around 11 p.m., the Kingston Police received a report that the passenger of a grey SUV threw an orange out of the vehicle’s window, injuring a female student as it hit her in the face. On the same night, there was also a report of a male student being hit by an orange on Collingwood St. and of another female student hit in the chest with a potato.

Other assaults have occurred around Earl and Division Streets and incidents around campus have been reported to Campus Security. Kingston Police said they have a potential plate number and believe the assaults to be linked.

A month prior, on Oct 24., at 11:30 p.m., Anneke van den Hof was walking back to her house accompanied by AMS WalkHome staff when they were pelted with potatoes from young men hanging out of the window of a vehicle.

This occurred on the corner of Johnson and Albert Streets.

Luckily for van den Hof, the coat she was wearing saved her from injury.

“I put what happened to me in my Facebook status and I got a lot of responses,” Anneke van den Hof, ArtSci ’13, said. “I know of someone who has gotten hit before and it has left a massive bruise on her leg.”

She said she knows of three other students in Kingston who have fallen victim to similar assaults.

“For punishment, I think they should do some kind of manual labour,” she said. “Or maybe we should get them to clean up the streets.” On a release posted on their website, Campus Security described the vehicle used to pelt the objects as a dark SUV. It’s believed to be linked to the incidents reported to Kingston Police.

— With files from Rachel Herscovici

crime