Female pedestrian hit by taxi on campus

A female pedestrian was hit by a taxi van shortly before 1:30 p.m. today at the corner of University Ave. and Bader Ln. She was taken to hospital.

There’s no update on the pedestrian’s condition yet, but Kingston Police Constable and Media Relations officer Steven Koopman said her injuries are reportedly “relatively minor.”

The male driver of the Amey’s taxi van that hit the girl said he was driving approximately 20 km/h down University Ave. when he struck the female, who was attempting to cross the street with her head down.

“I don’t know if she was reading or texting,” he said. “All of the sudden she took a quick step and she was still looking down.”

According to the driver, she was hit by the car’s fender and was thrust back onto the sidewalk from the force of the incident. He saw her bleeding from the head just after.

As soon as she was struck, bystanders came to her aid, he said. He immediately pulled the van over and reported the incident to police.

“I’m upset. Nothing like this has ever happened,” he said from the driver’s seat of his car.

It’s currently unknown whether charges will be pressed.

Janghan Hong, a witness along with two others at the scene, said there was a lot of blood on the pavement.

“She hit the pavement face first. She [appeared to become] unconscious and started bleeding from her face,” Hong said.

Police couldn’t confirm whether the victim was a student, but Hong said she looked like she was in her late teens or early 20s.

Two members of the police were on the scene, as well as two paramedics when the ambulance arrived about five minutes after the accident.

Hong said she appeared unconscious when the ambulance arrived, but she regained consciousness when the paramedics arrived and asked her to keep her head as straight as possible while they put a neck brace on her.

– With files from Katherine Fernandez-Blance

See queensjournal.ca for future updates.