St. Patrick’s Day collision update

Image by: Corey Lablans

The male pedestrian who was hit by a marked police car at Johnson and Division Streets is in hospital with a fractured knee cap, investigators say.

The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) was called in following the incident, which occurred around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

An SIU spokesperson couldn’t confirm whether or not the pedestrian was a Queen’s student.

According to the SIU website, the unit is an independent law enforcement agency “that conducts criminal investigations into circumstances involving police and civilians that have resulted in serious injury, death or allegations of sexual assault.”

On Monday afternoon, the SIU couldn’t release any information on the details of the collision.

“That’ll be in our investigation,” SIU spokesperson Monica Hudon said, adding that she doesn’t know how long the investigation will take.

“We have five investigators, two forensics investigators and a collision reconstructionist,” she said. “We’re just hoping that anyone with information will contact SIU.”

Hudon wouldn’t release the names of any officers involved in the collision.

“We don’t give the name of subject officers unless they’ve been charged,” she said.

The Journal reported eye-witness accounts of the collision on Sunday.

Lauren Lott, ArtSci ’13, said while she was walking past Division and Johnson Streets, she saw the male get hit by a police squad car. She said prior to this it appeared that the male was being pursued by police.

“I just heard a cop car hit the curb so I turned sideways and then at that exact moment I saw a guy get hit by the cop car and flip in the air and land on the ground,” she said early Sunday morning. “Then that guy stood up and started running southbound on Division.” Lott said the police continued to pursue.

“At that point he collapsed about halfway between Johnson and William [Streets],” she said. “The cop approached him and tried to see what injuries he had sustained.”

Lott said the male was put onto a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance.

“He was moving but in a lot of pain,” she said. “I don’t know if there was blood I was too far away to tell.”

— With files from Clare Clancy and Katherine Fernandez-Blance

Witnesses of the incident are urged to call the Lead Investigator of the Special Investigation Unit at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2314.

Kingston, Kingston Police, Special investigations Unit (SIU)