Queen's University — Since 1873
22nd October 2011

Gaels beat first-place Mustangs

Running back Ryan Granberg rushes during the Gaels' 37-0 win over the Western Mustangs on Saturday at Richardson Stadium.
Running back Ryan Granberg rushes during the Gaels' 37-0 win over the Western Mustangs on Saturday at Richardson Stadium. (Justin Chin)

Share

submit to reddit

Article tags:

The nationally-ranked Western Mustangs were undefeated before they came to Kingston on Saturday. But the Gaels beat the first-place Mustangs 37-0 in front of a crowd of 5,185 at Richardson Stadium to extend their winning streak to six games.

They’ll host the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks next weekend.

The Mustangs were without almost half of their regular starters, including quarterback Donnie Marshall and running back Tyler Varga.

The Gaels’ offence put up 555 yards, scoring two of the Gaels’ three touchdowns. Quarterback Billy McPhee consistently overthrew his receivers, completing 10 of 20 passes for 192 yards. Running back Ryan Granberg tallied 197 yards and one touchdown on 27 carries.

The Gaels’ defence has only given up two touchdowns in the past five weeks and has produced shutouts in its last two games.

Defensive lineman Johnny Miniaci and quarterback Billy McPhee both left the game on Saturday, but head coach Pat Sheahan said the injuries weren’t serious and the players sat out as a precaution.

The third-place Gaels finish the regular season at 6-2, while the Golden Hawks are in sixth place at 4-4. The Gaels beat the Golden Hawks 58-35 at Richardson Stadium on Sept. 17.

blog comments powered by Disqus