Gaels continue 40-year streak

The football team spoiled the York Lions’ homecoming game with a 63-3 win in Toronto on Saturday

The football team extended a 40-year winning streak against the York Lions with a 63-3 win in Toronto on Saturday. It was the Gaels’ 14th straight win against the Lions.

Quarterback Billy McPhee looked like a veteran, throwing for 328 yards, three touchdowns and, most importantly, zero interceptions. McPhee said his goal was a 70 per cent completion rate, which he beat with 74 per cent. Before Saturday’s game, McPhee had thrown five interceptions in three starts with the Gaels this season.

Running back Ryan Granberg rushed for 156 yards and two touchdowns on 18 attempts before leaving the game in the third quarter with a leg injury.

“I landed on my leg and took a helmet to the knee,” he said. “It just twisted on me funny. Felt pretty bad, but things look like they’ll be alright.”

With lead receiver Giovanni Aprile shut down by York’s defence, Justin Chapdelaine was McPhee’s favourite target. Chapdelaine had six catches for 131 yards and two touchdowns — his first points of the season.

Fifth-year kicker Dan Village was 7 for 9 on extra points and one missed field goal attempt that could have put him in a tie for the team’s field goal record. A small leg pull in a Friday night practice threw Village off, coach Pat Sheahan said.

The team’s defence only gave up a field goal in Toronto. Lions quarterback Dimitar Sevdin was sacked once and threw three interceptions. Rookie defensive back Yann Dika-Balotoken earned his first points as a Gael, returning an interception for a touchdown.

Halfway through the season, the 2-2 Gaels are tied for fifth in the OUA with the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. The two teams play in Toronto on Friday.

Billy McPhee, Football, Ryan Granberg, York Lions