Ignatieff puts emphasis on education

Michael Ignatieff made a brief stop in Kingston to encourage youth to vote Liberal

Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff spoke before an audience of college and university students
Image by: Justin Tang

Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff came to St. Lawrence College in Kingston on Monday morning to tout his party’s “Learning Passport” and encourage youth to vote Liberal. The passport aims to give students at least $4,000 over four years to go towards college or university education.

“We’re betting on the future in this room,” Ignatieff said to the audience, gesturing towards the students in the tightly packed health sciences laboratory. “We want to make one thing happen in this country: remove all obstacles of access to post-secondary education.”

Ignatieff also announced that a Liberal government would provide employment insurance rebates for businesses that hired workers aged 18-25 and introduce the Canada Service Corps, a program that would reduce student debt by $1,500 for students who participate in 150 hours of community service.

Ignatieff’s visit falls on an otherwise quiet day on the campaign trail, as party leaders are preparing for the federal leader debates that will begin Tuesday.

Elections, Federal Election, Michael Ignatieff