Vatican claim archaic

Last Sunday, a Vatican newspaper published an article naming the washing machine the greatest contribution to Western women’s liberation in the 20th century, the Globe and Mail reported Mar. 10.

The article, which was published to coincide with International Women’s Day, said the washing machine was more significant than the Pill, abortion rights and women’s employment outside the home.

Reader reaction has been mixed, with many claiming the article is farcical.

Regardless of the way in which the article was meant to be read, it’s discouraging that the Vatican would use its considerable clout to present a one-sided view on a complex issue.

In doing so, the Vatican shows itself to be out of touch with women, despite having many among its supporters.

Although the article appears tame when compared to the more controversial stances the Vatican has taken on issues such as birth control, its claims merit engaged discussion, not dismissal, because of the Catholic Church’s ability to influence public opinion.

Although the washing machine may have helped lighten the load placed on women to care for the home—therefore freeing up their time for other pursuits—this simplistic reasoning implies that, before the washing machine, women didn’t pursue other goals. There’s also an implicit suggestion women shouldn’t desire to do other things before they’ve finished their household chores.

The article also fails to account for the reality that not all women own washing machines, but all women desire some form of liberation.

It seems incongruous to compare a domestic machine to something like the Pill, as one technology reinforces women’s socially constructed roles and the other gives them more control over their own sexuality.

But even more problematic is the Vatican’s assumption that women’s liberation can be defined by a single object when women’s thoughts—and, indeed, feminist ideology—represent a multiplicity of ideas.

In the same way a distinction must be made between the Catholic Church’s patriarchal leadership and Catholic people who may be liberal and modern, it’s time for people to get rid of the archaic notion that women are homogenous.