Queen's University — Since 1873

Issue 29 - January 29, 2008

News

Higher health fee aims to reduce wait times

In today’s referendum, Health, Counselling and Disability Services (HCDS) is asking for a $10 increase in its annual student fee from $40.85 to $50.85. HCDS is experiencing a physician shortage, like most health services in the province, Director Mike Condra said.

Engineering Society, Incorporated?

Calling for new academic programs

What’s in a degree program?

AMS teams gear up for election

SciCons may be disbanded

Editorials

Getting the wrong picture

Getting the wrong picture

Since the first day I took on the role as a photographer for the Journal up until this point, I’ve been sworn at, yelled at, smiled at, frowned at, laughed at, threatened and hit by various objects. All of this has happened while still at the Journal house and not actually out on assignment. When I was actually on assignment, I’ve been covered in mud at the Grease Pole, hit by a puck at a Gaels game, violently threatened by drunk people during Homecoming, and generally regarded as the creepy guy who takes pictures. This, I guess, is all part of the job—to visually document events that may be printed in the media for others to see. Let’s be honest—it’s awkward, creepy, and rather invasive but was it always this way?

RWS suited for success

Opinions

Letters to the Editors

Letters to the Editors

You can take the boy out of Queen’s but you can’t take Queen’s out of the boy. With AMS election season in full swing, I took a look at the three executive teams. Although I can’t vote any more, I do long for the opportunity to scrawl across the top of a ballot “They all suck!” In the interests of preserving whatever dignity this process has, the team that put the wrong dates on their posters should be disqualified right off the bat. Things could be worse: they could have spelled their own names wrong or put someone else’s photo on their material. But in matters political, I’ve always felt that the voting day is one of those small details that, if you’re serious, you should probably get right.

Student-parent lifestyle is a reality

Arts

Playing nice with The Gertrudes

Playing nice with The Gertrudes

The New Pornographers, Broken Social Scene and Britain’s Reindeer Section are just the latest additions to a musical tradition with a long history—the supergroup. A supergroup—first seen in bands such as Cream and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young—is made up of musicians from other bands. Here in Kingston, The Gertrudes are set to become the city’s first local supergroup.

Running in reel time

Sending in the clown

Sports

WAG blasts off, brings smiles to many faces

Seven-year-old Logan Stewart was a no-nonsense teacher Saturday afternoon. “Please do the math problems on the board,” he said to a Journal reporter asking for an interview during math class in a classroom he built out of mats and benches with his buddy Peter Vooys, Kin ’07. Logan is seven years old and has cerebral palsy. He gets around using a wheelchair. This was Logan’s third year at the Winter Adapted Games.

Gaels fall short to high-flying Carleton

Hockey keeps top spot with weekend split

Gaels pick up pair of wins

Women upset Lions

Gaels come back

Veterans come through for Gaels

Postscript

Child’s play to political platforms

Child’s play to political platforms

Great political figures of the world are often born leaders and exhibit a powerful presence early on.

Photos

Issue in photos

Issue in photos

View all images from vol. 135, issue 29.