Queen's University — Since 1873

Issue 22 - November 23, 2007

News

Queen’s Centre LEEDing the way

Queen’s Centre LEEDing the way

If all goes according to plan, the Queen’s Centre will contain the first buildings on campus to be certified environmentally friendly. The four buildings making up the Queen’s Centre—the Varsity Building, Arena Building, Natatorium Building that house the pool and the Student Union Building—and the School of Physical and Health Education are being constructed under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating system. LEED is a guide for large construction projects made by the Canada Green Building Council.

AMS conducts survey to harmonize honoraria

News In Brief

Council strikes group to discuss Aberdeen

‘She was going to change the world’

North Kingston’s food desert

Racism on campus

Earth education

Queen’s green scene

Editorials

The lost art of courtship

The lost art of courtship

There are differences between men and women. I’m not a biology major but I know that an average male has a penis, while your typical female has a vagina. You have one or the other. To quote Abraham Lincoln, “We hold these truths to be self-evident.” Go ahead, have a look. Honest Abe never told a lie.

Saudi rape verdict a violation

RCMP weapon abuse stunning

Opinions

Letters to the Editors

Letters to the Editors

I was disappointed, to say the least, by the content in the Queen’s vs. Kingston issue. While town-gown relations are an important topic, I did not find the articles to be informative or relevant to the Queen’s-Kingston situation. To the contrary, these articles highlighted issues such as property tax payments (granted by the Provincial government to the town) and increasing class sizes (a result of increased university enrollment province-wide).

Health care needs resuscitation

Arts

Theatre causes chaos

Theatre causes chaos

Chaos Theory is about four things: we’re about creating environmentally sustainable theatre from a green perspective, we’re about creating interdisciplinary discourse between the university and the community, we’re about bringing back the concept of storytelling to theatre and finally about making the most engaging, exciting and fun theatre we can.

In-between being

The Wooden Sky reach for the top

Sports

Sports in brief

Sports in brief

Gaels’ running back Mike Giffin was named to the first-team All-Canadian football team Wednesday. Giffin was the first running back in Queen’s history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season, and set school records with 16 touchdowns and 96 points. He finished tied for second in Canada with 12 rushing touchdowns. Receiver Rob Bagg, offensive lineman Cody Kennedy and defensive lineman Osie Ukwuoma were all given second-team honours.

Athletes of the week

Team sails into ninth

Will the New England Patriots finish their season undefeated?

Basketball earns split

Tough road trip for Gaels

Gaels flying high

A bitter pill from McGill

Postscript

Word Nerd

Word Nerd

In 2003, when the French government opposed the American war on Iraq, certain areas of the United States exploded with anti-French sentiment. The most amusing legacy of this political clash is the renaming of French toast and French fries to “freedom toast” and “freedom fries.” Claimed to be a protest against France’s stance, the small culinary admonishment attracted a wide variety of media attention and the incident quickly became the subject of international criticism and ridicule. This is not, however, a unique incident. “Freedom fries” belong to a longstanding tradition of words used throughout history to make political statements.

Rise and shine

Photos

Issue in photos

Issue in photos

View all images from vol. 135, issue 22.