Queen's University — Since 1873

Issue 20 - November 10, 2006

News

Low voter turn-out at fall referendum

Low voter turn-out at fall referendum

Less than 12 per cent of undergraduate students voted Nov. 7 and 8 in the fall referendum. AMS chief returning officer Ilana Ludwin said at least seven voting hours were lost Tuesday due to a campus power outage.

George Hood to retire

Analyzing Afghanistan

Getting the skinny on stress

History where it happened

Maclean’s results are in

Going the distance Step by Step

Meet your mayoral candidates

Living with an eating disorder

Editorials

Friday night fights

Friday night fights

Almost every Friday or Saturday night that I’ve been out, I’ve seen at least one or two fights, mostly involving inebriated students who’ve just left the bar. Generally, it stays on the street, but sometimes, it’ll be inside a campus building. Last weekend, a fight broke out in front of the Walkhome kiosk. I’m not trying to say that there’s been a recent rise in fighting on or off campus, but for some reason, I’ve been noticing it more.

Our endorsements

Opinions

Letters to the Editors

Letters to the Editors

Ms. Gervan mistakenly received a copy of an e-mail in which the editor of The <em>Journal</em> told his staff, in strong terms, not to write about “these people.” Ms. Gervan has accepted the editor’s apology, but the issue deserves attention. As someone who thinks 'these people'not only newsworthy but an urgent example of the enormous hypocrisy of the 'war on terror' affecting us all, I am worried by the unprofessional bias and attitude expressed in the editor’s instructions to his staff. The Queen's community should know that the <em>Journal</em> may be deliberately disallowing reporting about some significant events and issues.

It’s time to dispel the stereotype

Supplement

Just jonesin’ for that extra caffeine kick

With exam period looming and essays accumulating, students may be looking for that extra boost of energy, that extra jolt to get them through a long night. Energy drinks are now readily available on campus, placed alongside other common beverages like Coke and Pepsi.

Sleep deprivation is like intoxication

What can I do if I think my housmate ...

Your health in their hands

InFocus

InFocus: Backstage with The Good Woman of Setzuan

The <em>Journal</em> heads backstage with <em>The Good Woman of Setzuan</em>.

Arts

The ‘harmony of opposites’

The ‘harmony of opposites’

Sometimes still life provides the best depiction of movement and often the range of human expression is best shown by an inanimate painting or photo. This irony comes to the fore at the Union Gallery in Kate Shocrylas and Melanie Laurenco’s exhibit <em>The Spaces Between</em>.

Charity vs. commerce

River gives the best of their time

Sports

Women’s soccer advances to CIS semifinals

The women’s soccer team earned a berth in the national championships with their provincial semifinal win over the Western Mustangs last Saturday. Striker Eilish McConville led the Gaels to a 3-0 victory with her third hat trick of the season.

Rowers win six medals at nationals

Kill McGill trip goes sour

‘He always had time for everyone’

Football ousted by Gee-Gees

Postscript

The ‘feminist’ stigma

The ‘feminist’ stigma

For some, the word feminism conjures images of angry man-haters with a penchant for flannel and the biting need to critique patriarchal institutions. Why? I blame it on the rise of radical feminism throughout the 1960s to the ’80s.

Photos

Issue in photos

Issue in photos

View all images from vol. 134, issue 20.