Rib festival serves up a saucy event

Barbequed meat and microbrewed beer make a tasty combination. This was the showcase at Kingston’s Ribfest and Craft Beer Show which celebrated its second year from Sept. 5-7.

Many Kingston locals were drawn by the free admission, but this year’s festival also provided the option to make charitable donations at the door, with proceeds going toward the Partners in Mission Food Bank.

The weekend’s clear skies allowed for a jam-packed event. It helped that the festival featured prize-winning rib stands, such as the Silver Bullet and the Texas Rangers. Even if ribs weren’t your cup of tea, Kingston’s Ribfest had something for everyone. The stands also served barbequed chicken and pulled pork, as well as cornbread and grilled corn. I was a big fan of the corn, especially with all the different toppings or “Corn-diments”. It was a fun experience to test out all the different flavours, such as lemon and cayenne pepper.

One rib tent generously offered their dancing services in exchange for donations. For only four dollars, festival attendees could watch the entire staff of the tent dance and sing at the top of their lungs. They weren’t the only source of entertainment. The live country music added a festive and upbeat mood to the well-attended festival. Booths also offered their own brews from all over the province. There was something for everyone, whether you prefer something fruity or crisp-tasting.

Even if you’re underage, there were other equally creative refreshments, including Harry Potter-inspired butterbeer and fresh lemonade. Not only that, but the local farmer’s market had set up just outside of Ribfest, so you could also wander through the stalls on your way in or out of the festival.

Overall, there was something for everyone, from country music to saucy ribs.

It was an enjoyable, delicious experience. I’m already looking forward to Kingston’s third annual Ribfest and Craft Beer Show.

Food, Local events, Ribfest