Queen's University — Since 1873

What to wear: summer barbecues

Posted by Jessica Chong on July 12, 2013 @ 11:11 a.m. EDT

Share

submit to reddit

Post tags:

Short URL:

Barbecues with family and friends call for comfortable summer wear, but that doesn’t mean compromised fashion decisions. Flowy lightweight fabrics like silk provide the perfect comfort from humid weather, and knowing when to bring out those cut-off shorts will likewise come in handy. Here are some outfit choices for three different types of barbecues you may be invited to this season:

BeachOutfit1

Beach barbecue

Beach barbecues call for layers. Opt for cut-off shorts and a tank, something that can easily be worn over your swim suit. For an especially flattering look, invest in a pair of high-waist shorts and a cropped top. A sweater is also great for when the temperature cools in the evening. Beach barbecue wear should always be practical and sensible, especially footwear. Trade in those espadrilles for sandals or flip-flops. Height is always great, but not when you’re gearing up for some impromptu beach sports. No one wants to feel restricted when the need for some volleyball or Frisbee arrives – so definitely afford yourself the comfort of these summer staples: tank, shorts and sandals.

BeachOutift2

Backyard barbecue with friends

Work with pastels this summer to keep your look playful and fun. This top has quickly become one of my favourites: the lilac colour creates a softer look for summer and the lightweight silk material and slit-back opening keeps this outfit breezy. Silk tops have become my go-to over cotton tees because of their luxurious drapey look. Silk offers a feminine alluring quality with its sheerness, while the rounded hemline and cinched waist also ensure a flattering figure. Compliment this pastel look with nude wedges that accentuate the softness of the lilac colour.

BeachOutfit3

Backyard barbecue with family

A flowy maxi-length skirt creates an elegant and feminine look and will become a much used item for more than just barbecues. Comfort and craft describe this look: The soft boning subtly accentuates the bodice and really allows the waistband to compliment any figure. When choosing long summer dresses, remember to choose a dress with a waistband that sits perfectly as to compliment the bodice and lower body. The extra fabric will also come in handy once the evening temperature cools down. Also opt for wedges to elongate your figure. Nothing is more feminine and relaxed for the summer season than this combination of flowing fabric and height-inducing heels.

Barbecues offer a fun and social atmosphere to wear this season’s trends in comfort. Pastel colours, back slits and flowy fabrics are a few ways to style yourself with the hot weather in mind.

Post a comment

blog comments powered by Disqus