Your hair-cleaning regime is about to get a whole lot simpler. You can go au naturel – without the high price of beauty aisle products. Commercial products are also often laden with chemicals. Try out a few of our easy solutions for hydrated, moisturized locks:
Coconut banana hair mask
¼ cup of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of honey
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Combine ingredients in food processor or by hand. Coat scalp and hair evenly with mixture. Leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
Yogurt hair mask
One egg white
5-6 tablespoons of yogurt
Combine egg and yogurt until an even consistency is achieved. Leave mixture on hair for 20 minutes ... Read more...
These four quick and easy homemade masks will not only improve the condition of your skin and hair – they’ll also save you money and prevent you from using products with harmful chemicals. There’s a solution to your skin and hair issues, and they’re hiding in your kitchen!
- 2 tbsp. of honey (Raw or manuka honey if possible, but regular honey will work as well)
- 1 tbsp. of oats (Organic if possible - do not use oats if you’re gluten intolerant)
- 1/2 banana (if you have dry skin)
- 1 egg (if you have oily skin)
I cannot rave about honey enough – it has so many beauty benefits! It’s a natural humectant, which means that it retains moisture. It’s also naturally antibacterial, so it’s perfect for acne prone skin, as well as dry skin. Honey also contains gluconic acid, which is a mild alpha hydroxy acid that brightens and evens out ... Read more...
Keeping warm and staying stylish at the same time is always a difficult task, especially in the super-freezing winter weather lately! I find that layering my clothing can create a stunning outfit but also helps me stay cozy. With a few staple pieces, it is easy to bundle up and still express your style!
Here are a few key items that are must-haves for layering in your winter wardrobe:
An Oversized Scarf: Scarves are amazing accessories, but also keep you super warm! I like to wear the oversized ones because they can be used as “statement” accessories, but they’re also very practical at the same time. When shopping for one, try to look for neutral colours that will go with any outfit. Also, don’t worry if this is becomes splurge item: The right ... Read more...
Maybe 2014 will prove different for Miley Cyrus.
Last year, she was the centre of chatter and controversy for outrageous behaviour and wardrobe choices (including Terry Richardson-associated visuals and wrecking balls, and foam fingers and Robin Thicke escapades at the 2013 MTV EMA.)
This January the topic of conversation is how Miley is not just wearing clothes for Marc Jacobs, but advertising them. In response to this casting call, longtime Jacobs collaborator and fashion photographer Juergen Teller bowed out of shooting the Spring/Summer 2014 campaign, Jacobs saying that Teller “just didn’t want to shoot her.”
Though Teller continued to shoot other Jacobs-associated campaigns such as Marc by Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2014, David Sims shot the campaign starring Cyrus, having also shot Jacobs’ beauty campaign. Longtime collaborator Katie Grand styled the ... Read more...
Posted by Jessica Chong on January 15, 2014 @ 08:00 p.m. EST
Tags: beauty, makeup
This list combines the best of beauty practicality and innovation. While some of these are recent additions to our beauty regimen, others are staples that are indispensible for their timesaving convenience.
1. Colour-adaptive lip gloss and blush: For the uninitiated, determining the amount of blush to apply may seem daunting. Dior Glow Range, such as the Dior Addict Lip Glow and Dior Rosy Glow Health Awakening Blush, is loaded with moisturizers and pigments that alter to best flatter your skin tone.
How it works: Apply the glossy balm to your lips. Initially it will appear clear, but, on contact with your skin, it will change a pinkish hue. Similarly, the blush will first appear a bright fuchsia, but will react to the moisture on your cheeks and will change to a subtle ... Read more...
With the beginning of a new year, I always find it prudent to update my wardrobe and ensure I have the necessary staples. Think of it as a cleanse – a new start to another school term and an investment in pieces you can wear well into your 20s.
I’ll scrutinize my wardrobe for the seasonless, timeless and effortless pieces. It’s out with the passing trends, and in with the highly versatile wardrobe staples.
1. A fitted blazer: This piece will have you looking crisp and clean. Blazers aren’t just for formal occasions, but can be worked into casual everyday looks with boyfriend jeans or trousers. This structured garment is also great for accentuating feminine curves. Whether it’s a casual dinner out with friends or a family brunch, blazers also ... Read more...
With the year coming to a close, there’s no better time for a wardrobe update. These garment pieces will be sure to have some serious staying power in your closet. This year, modern slim fit pants like chinos proved to be popular once again. Micro-patterned shirts that play up detail also had their share in the spotlight.
1. Blazer: If there’s one wardrobe investment that leaves an impression in both job interviews and casual outings, it’s a sharp looking blazer. This isn’t a piece you’ll find yourself donating later on – this piece will be practical for your new office job as well. Add a colourful pocket square for a pop of colour to your ensemble. Most importantly, though, ensure that it fits well, as you wouldn’t want to ... Read more...
Our makeup needs often change with the seasons. The cold weather and dry indoor air can make for especially dry chapped lips. However, with a few of these tips, you can ensure your lips are looking their finest with a little extra moisturizing.
Tips to maintain winter perfect lips:
- Wear lip balm overnight: Similar to your skin, your lips need to be a clean, smooth canvas. Equip yourself with a basic lip balm like Vaseline, Nivea or Burt’s Bee.
- Weekly lip exfoliating: Opt for a quick and easy homemade lip scrub with this trusty trio: sugar, olive oil and honey. If you’re willing to splurge, I recommend Fresh’s Sugar Lip Polish at Sephora. For smooth lips ready at a moment’s notice, whether it’s for loud or subtle hues, add exfoliating and moisturizing ... Read more...
With this new, wintery weather, everyone is looking to warmer clothes to carry them through this last month of term.
And right now is also a great time to invest in some pieces for the colder days. The perfect investment is a new pair of boots. Boots keep your feet warm, stand up through tough conditions and go with almost everything.
Too often I find a really great pair of boots, take them home full of excitement and outfit ideas, then don’t wear them for weeks because I’m afraid of blisters. Sound familiar? I just bought a new pair of boots and I know they’ll be the comfiest pair in my closet – but first, I have to break them in.
In an effort to sidestep my usual three-week wait before blisters approach, I’ve put together a five-step guide to breaking in new to simply what can ... Read more...
Bundling up for winter doesn’t have to compromise your power to accessorize. Think wardrobe warmth that plays up texture and patterns with accent colours and everyday casual in mind.
Try matching more nuanced items such as the colour of your gloves with your coat buttons or boots. Even matching your gloves, bag or headwear to one shade of colour from your scarf adds the right amount of coordination and balance without being too overpowering.
Alternately, experiment with a bold scarf pattern as statement wear. A casual everyday Fair Isle pattern can also add a hint of playfulness.
1. Fingerless gloves are practical when you need to check your phone on the go while achieving that everyday look. Stick with neutral mitts to maximize on the ... Read more...