QJ Science: Seasonal affective disorder

Each year in the winter, between two and six per cent of Canadians find themselves feeling SAD.

Terms like the “winter blues” or the “February blahs” — or, in the case of students, “winter exam stress” — may be used to describe these feelings. But for Canadians, the correct term is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

When SAD was first described in the 1980s, it was met with some skepticism, and acceptance of the disorder took some time. Now, scientists have used brain scans to determine a potential cause.

A recent study from researchers at the University of Copenhagen found that at night, people who suffer from SAD increase production in levels of the serotonin transporter (SERT) protein. This finding has been reported before, but in this particular study, the team took it a step further.

Patients were followed year-round, allowing for SERT levels to be compared between seasons. Their findings strongly suggest a relationship that exists between SERT and SAD.

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter responsible for maintaining mood balance. It’s also thought to play a role in appetite, sleep and memory. When SERT levels are high, much of the serotonin in the brain is transported into neurons, where they lay inactive. With less active serotonin present, there’s less available to regulate a person’s mood and behaviour.

SAD is characterized by many of the same symptoms as major depressive disorder, including low energy levels, trouble sleeping and problems with concentration. The difference between the two is the distinct seasonal pattern of SAD.

In spring and summer, the longer daylight hours keep SERT levels low. Consequently, symptoms tend to disappear. In late fall and winter, when the nights are longer, SERT levels increase, leading to SAD.

The research team intends to explore the relationship between light levels and SERT, which can help shed light on major depressive disorder. The disorder is also thought to be affected by serotonin, but isn’t affected by changes in seasons.

Treatment for SAD includes light therapy, exposure to a bright light that mimics being outside and cognitive behavioural therapy, which involves teaching the individual how to deal with SAD.

Alternatively, spending as much time outside as possible during the winter can also help. Getting outside and exercising not only increases your exposure to sunlight, which helps keep SERT levels low, but also contributes to a healthier lifestyle in general. A healthy diet and cutting down on caffeine can also be positive influences.

If you’re noticing major mood shifts, increased anxiety, sleep problems and a change in energy levels, don’t hesitate to reach out for medical help from Health, Counselling, and Disability Services. With a few lifestyle fixes, you can ensure that SAD doesn’t take a major toll on your health this winter.

QJ Science, SAD, Seasonal affective disorder, winter